You Moved On… But I Stayed Where You Left Me

The café still smelled the same.

Coffee. Rain. And memories that refused to fade.

Zayan sat in the same corner seat, fingers wrapped around a cup that had long gone cold. Outside, people rushed past, umbrellas clashing against the wind—but inside, time felt… stuck.

Exactly where she left him.

Created by AI

It had been months.

Maybe more.

He stopped counting after the days started feeling the same.


“You should move on.”

His friend had said that once.

Zayan smiled at the memory.

Move on?

As if it was something you could just decide—like changing a seat or skipping a song.


His phone buzzed.

A notification.

Not her.

Of course not.


He opened social media anyway.

And there she was.

A picture.

Smiling.

Happy.

With someone else.


For a moment, everything around him went quiet.

Not the peaceful kind of quiet.

The kind that presses against your chest until breathing feels heavier.


“You look… okay,” he whispered to himself.

But his hands tightened slightly around the cup.


Flashbacks don’t ask for permission.

They just come.


Her laugh echoing in this very café.
The way she used to steal sips from his coffee.
The way she once said, “I feel safe with you.”


Safe.

Funny how that word stayed—

Even when she didn’t.


“Zayan?”

A voice broke through his thoughts.

He looked up.

The waiter.

“Do you want another coffee?”

He hesitated.

Then nodded.

“Yeah… sure.”


Maybe that’s what he had been doing all this time.

Not living.

Just… refilling empty things.


The truth was simple.

She had moved on.

And he hadn’t.


Not because he didn’t try.

But because every step forward felt like leaving something behind—

Something he wasn’t ready to let go of.


Later that evening, rain started falling harder.

Zayan stepped outside, letting the cold drops hit his face.

It felt… real.

At least something did.


His phone buzzed again.

This time—

Her name.


His heart skipped.

Stupid.

After all this time… still the same reaction.


He opened the message slowly.

“Hey… I hope you’re doing okay.”


That was it.

No explanation.

No apology.

Just… a simple sentence.


Zayan stared at the screen for a long time.

So many words filled his mind.

Questions. Feelings. Things he never said.


But in the end—

He typed only one thing.

“I’m okay.”


And for the first time—

It wasn’t entirely a lie.


He looked up at the sky.

Rain still falling.

City still moving.

Life… still going on.


Maybe healing didn’t mean forgetting.

Maybe it meant accepting that some parts of you would always stay behind—

In places, in moments, in people.


“You moved on…” he whispered.

A small, quiet smile formed on his lips.

“But I’m finally moving… too.”


Not where she was.

Not where they used to be.


But somewhere new.


 Final Line

“You moved on… and I stayed where you left me…
until I realized I didn’t have to stay there forever.”

Post a Comment

0 Comments