Rain tapped softly against the window as Arman stared at his phone.
No new messages.
He sighed, locking the screen… then unlocking it again, as if something might change in those few seconds.
It didn’t.
![]() |
| Created by AI |
“Arman, can I call you?”
Her message popped up suddenly.
A small smile appeared on his face.
“Always.”
A few seconds later, her voice filled his room.
“I don’t know what to do anymore…”
It was trembling.
Broken.
And just like always—Arman listened.
Alya had been like this for months.
Lost. Confused. Hurt.
And every time the world felt too heavy for her, she came to him.
Not to anyone else.
Him.
“He didn’t reply again,” she whispered.
“Maybe I said something wrong…”
Arman’s chest tightened slightly.
He already knew who she was talking about.
Same guy. Same story.
Different night.
“You didn’t do anything wrong,” he said gently.
“You always try your best.”
Silence.
Then a quiet sniffle.
“Why is it never enough for him?”
Arman looked out the window, watching the rain blur the city lights.
He wanted to say something else.
Something honest.
But instead—
“He just doesn’t see your worth yet.”
Yet.
A word he used often.
A word he didn’t believe anymore.
“Thank you for staying,” Alya said softly.
“I don’t know what I’d do without you.”
Arman smiled faintly.
“Yeah… me neither.”
But deep down—
He knew.
She’d be fine.
She always was.
Just… not because of him.
Days turned into weeks.
Calls. Messages. Late-night talks.
Arman was always there.
Every breakdown.
Every overthinking moment.
Every “I miss him” conversation.
And every time—
He chose her.
Even when she never chose him.
One night felt different.
Too quiet.
Too still.
Alya didn’t call.
She didn’t text.
Nothing.
Arman waited.
An hour.
Two.
Then finally—
A message.
“I think things are getting better between us.”
Arman read it once.
Then again.
Slowly.
“Us.”
Not him.
Not them.
Someone else.
“That’s… good,” he typed.
He stared at the screen before pressing send.
His fingers felt heavier than usual.
“He finally said he misses me,” she continued.
“I’m so happy.”
Arman closed his eyes for a moment.
There it was.
The thing he had been helping her fight for all this time.
And now—
She had it.
“I’m glad,” he replied.
And this time—
He meant it.
But something inside him… quietly broke.
Days passed.
Then weeks.
The calls stopped.
The long messages disappeared.
The “I need you” turned into “I’m busy.”
Arman became a memory in her routine.
Not gone.
Just… unnecessary.
One evening, he found himself scrolling through their old chats.
Voice notes.
Late-night confessions.
Moments where she said, “You understand me better than anyone.”
He smiled.
But it didn’t reach his eyes.
“I was there for you…” he whispered.
The room felt emptier than usual.
His phone lit up again.
A message from her.
“I’m sorry I’ve been distant.”
He stared at it.
For a long time.
Then typed slowly:
“It’s okay.”
And it was.
Because he finally understood something he had been avoiding for so long—
She needed him.
Just not in the way he needed her.
Arman put his phone down and looked out at the night sky.
For the first time in months—
He didn’t wait for another message.
Because some love stories aren’t about being chosen.
They’re about realizing…
You were never meant to be.
Final Line
“I was there for you… but you needed someone else.”


0 Comments