Love Was There… Effort Wasn’t

“I still love you.”

Those were the words that kept her staying.

Created by AI

Nora read the message again.

Slowly.

Carefully.

As if the meaning might change the second time.


“I still love you.”


Then why did it feel like she was alone?


At first, everything felt right.

Long conversations.
Late-night calls.
That soft comfort of knowing someone cared.


Love was never the problem.


Effort was.


“Did you reach home?” Nora texted.

“Yeah,” Zain replied.


No follow-up.

No “What about you?”


Small things.

Almost invisible.


But over time

They became everything.


“I feel like something’s different,” Nora said one evening.

Zain sighed.

“Why do you always think something’s wrong?”


Because something was.


Not loud.

Not obvious.


Just… missing.


“I’m trying,” he said once.


And maybe he believed that.


But trying doesn’t feel like silence.


It doesn’t feel like delayed replies.
It doesn’t feel like conversations that die too quickly.


Love isn’t just what you say.

It’s what you show.


Days passed.

And Nora found herself doing more.

Texting first.
Calling first.
Caring more.


Holding onto something that felt real

But didn’t feel equal.


“I love you,” he said again one night.


And for the first time

She didn’t feel comfort.


She felt tired.


Because love without effort

Feels like a promise that’s never fulfilled.


“I know you love me,” Nora said quietly.


Zain looked confused.

“Then what’s the problem?”


She took a deep breath.


“Love isn’t the problem,” she replied.

“Effort is.”


Silence filled the space between them.


Because deep down

He knew it was true.


Love was there.


But effort had slowly disappeared.


And without effort

Love starts to feel like loneliness.


“I don’t think I can keep doing this alone,” Nora whispered.


Zain didn’t argue.

Didn’t promise.

Didn’t fix it.


And that was the answer.


Sometimes

People don’t stop loving you.


They just stop trying.


And that hurts more than losing love completely.


Because it leaves you stuck

Between what you feel…

And what you deserve.


Nora smiled faintly.

Not because she was okay

But because she finally understood.


She didn’t need more love.


She needed effort.


And if she had to ask for it again and again


Then maybe it was never really there.


Final Line

“Love was there…
but effort wasn’t—and without effort, love slowly feels like being alone.”

Post a Comment

0 Comments