The café had an unusually peaceful atmosphere that rainy afternoon.
Emma completed drying the final coffee cup and glanced at the entrance as the bell chimed.
A tall individual dressed in a black hoodie and sunglasses walked in.
"Could I please get a black coffee?" he asked in a soft voice.
Emma responded with a smile. "Of course, I'll get that for you."
She had no clue who he was.
The man appeared surprised.
"You don't recognize me?" he asked while smiling.
Emma shrugged.
"Should I?"
He chuckled softly.
"That might just be the nicest thing I've encountered this week."
The next morning, he returned.
"Another black coffee?"
Emma asked.
"Actually... surprise me," he answered.
She placed a caramel latte in front of him.
"I usually don’t care for sweet coffee."
"Well, today is your fortunate day."
He took a sip.
His eyebrows shot up in surprise.
"...Okay, I owe you an apology."
Emma crossed her arms.
"I'll accept that."
They both shared a laugh.
Outside the café, a group of teenage girls burst into excitement.
"Oh my God! It's
Ethan Carter!”
Emma glanced through the window.
The girls gathered around him, their phones eagerly pointed at him.
She blinked in astonishment.
"So... you're well-known?"
Ethan sighed.
"Unfortunately."
"You could have mentioned that."
"I appreciated chatting with someone who didn’t already know everything about me."
Days turned into weeks.
A routine established itself.
Coffee.
Conversations.
Laughter.
"So,"
Emma asked one evening.
"What’s it truly like to be famous?"
Ethan leaned back in his chair.
"Lonely."
She looked confused.
"Lonely?"
"Everyone wants something."
"Money."
"Photos."
"Connections."
"Very few genuinely care about me."
Emma fell silent.
"I never thought of it that way."
A month went by...
"Would you like to have dinner?"
Ethan asked nervously.
Emma beamed.
"As
Ethan?"
He nodded in affirmation.
"Not as the celebrity."
She laughed happily.
"I was hoping you’d ask me as
Ethan."
Dating turned out to be difficult.
One dinner became the next day’s story.
One holiday resulted in a flood of paparazzi pictures.
Social media buzzed.
'Who is she?'
'She’s taking advantage of him.'
'She isn’t good enough for him.'
Emma turned off her phone.
"I can’t keep looking at these."
Ethan took the phone from her hand.
"Then don’t."
"But they don’t like me."
"They don’t really know you."
"They know just a headline."
One evening, they found themselves on the rooftop admiring the shimmering city lights.
"Do you ever wish you weren’t famous?"
Emma asked.
Ethan paused before replying.
"Sometimes."
"Seriously?"
"I miss walking through a park without having security."
"I miss picking up groceries."
"I miss being invisible."
Emma rested her head softly on his shoulder.
"I can help you remember how normal life feels."
He smiled gently.
"And you remind me why I aimed to become who I am."
Months passed.
The outrageous headlines slowly faded away.
People began to look for new stories to spread.
The cameras shifted focus.
Yet their connection remained strong.
Not because one was famous...
Not due to the absence of the other...
But because each morning began identically.
"Black coffee?"
Emma inquired.
Ethan beamed.
"Wow me."
She laughed.
"I figured you would respond that way."
Beyond the café, the world still saw a celebrity linked to an ordinary woman.
Within the café...
It was merely a pair of people who had developed feelings for one another.
And for them, that was enough.
0 Comments